TRINCO NEWS
Search

History Of R.K.M. Sri Koneswara Hindu College

T / R.K.M.Sri Koneswara Hindu College,a reputable school in the Eastern province , was founded in 1897. At present it is a leading Institution with more than 2100 students and about 90 teachers under its fold

sri koneswara hindu college trincomalee2

Ramakrishna Mission Sri Koneswara Hindu College, a prestigious Educational Institution in the coastal town of Trincomalee in Eastern Sri Lanka, was founded in 1897 by some Hindu luminaries.

The Institution gained official recognition as a government primary school in 1922 and was administered by a Board of Management comprised of certain influential Hindus. The following men of repute are known to have been on the Board at one time or other.

1.Attorney S.Vallipurampillai Mudaliyar
2.Attorney S.Thiyagarajah
3.Attorney Visvalingam
4.Mr.Arumainayagam
5.Mr.Murugupillai(Surveyor)
6.Mr.Subramaniam(Shroff)
7.Mr.Vythilingam

At the beginning, this school had two divisions viz; Hindu Boys Tamil School and Hindu Boys English School under the same administration.

The year 1925 was significant as far as this school was concerned because Swami Vipulananda took over this school on behalf of the Ramakrishana Mission in 1925.Swami Vipulananda’s return to the island as a saint of Ramakrishna Mission is considered as the beginning of an era in the history of education in the Eastern Province. The Swamiji’s immense contribution to the growth of the Hindu Schools will undoubtedly go down in the annals of the history of the province..

sri koneswara hindu college trincomalee3Swami Vipulananda took over the administration of the school on 1st June 1925 following a decision by the Board of Management under the chairmanship of Mr.Vallipurampillai to hand over the school to Ramakrishna Mission and hence the celebration of this day as the College day

There was a steady growth of both Hindu Boys English School and Hindu Boys Tamil School under the direct and able administration of Swami Vipulananda in terms of the number of students and the infrastructural facilities.

The Kaliappu Hall built with the aid of a public fund was declared open by the then Governor H.E.Sir Herbert Stanley and the Sampanthar Hall built in memory of an erstwhile teacher of Hindu Boys English School, Mr. P.K.Sampanthar, was declared open by Mr.V.Kumarasamy the then Government Agent for Eastern Province.

Swami Vipulananda had served as the Manager of the school since 1925. In addition to his managerial position he took over responsibilities as Principal in 1928 in the interest of the educational development of the school. Swami Vipulananda served in this capacity till July 1930. However, he handed over the post of Principal to Mr.P.Ramachandra M.A(Hons) when the responsibility of managing all the schools under the umbrella of Ramakrishna Mission fell on his shoulders.

The school developed gradually during the period of Swami Vipulananda. Science education was upgraded; laboratory facilities were improved. An opportunity to sit the London Cambridge Senior Examination was presented to the students. In 1932 this college was raised to senior secondary status. Owing to the second world war, especially between 1940 and 1945, the growth of this school was hampered. The school functioned in various places temporarily during the period. In 1945 the school commenced to function on its original premises.

In 1947 a library building constructed by Mr.L.H.Haradasa in memory of his late father Norris de Silva was declared open by the then Minister of Education Hon.Nugawela. In 1952 Hindu College was raised to Grade One school. The construction of the first upstairs building, presently named as Ampalavanar Block, was begun in 1955 and completed in 1958.As time passed by, Hindu Boys English school was renamed R. K. M.Hindu College and became a leading school in Trincomalee while Hindu Boys Tamil school became R. K. M.Sri Koneswara Vidyalayam and became a leading primary as well as secondary school in Trincomalee.

Although R.K.M.Hindu College and R. K. M. Sri Koneswara Vidyalayam were under the administration of Ramakrishna Mission, both these schools were handed over to the government as separate schools in 1961 under the School Take Over Act. Both these schools rendered yeomen service to the public of Trincomalee having identical school flags, emblems and college anthem.

sri koneswara hindu college trincomaleeIn 1993 both these schools, T/R.K.M. Hindu College and T/R.K.M.Sri Koneswara Vidyalayam, were amalgamated as T/R.K.M.Sri Koneswara Hindu College and granted National School status. Our College was the first National school in Trincomalee district and the second in the Eastern Province.

At present our College is one of the biggest Educational Institutes in Trincomalee with 2100 students, 90 teachers and 15 non-teaching staff under its fold. It produces remarkable results at public examinations and the highest number of university entrants in the district. The College has excelled in co-curricular activities such as sports, scouts, art, and literature at district, provincial and national levels. This Institution is one of the best schools not only at district level but also at national level .

The College inculcates a sense of responsibility and discipline in the students. The parents and past students assist in the growth of the school. The school society gives its due respect to the founders and the former teachers. R.K.M.Sri Koneswara Hindu College will continue with its mission of producing worthy citizens in the future too.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *